Senior Project Managers are responsible to exceed in supervising and coordinating single or multiple projects to complete the work on time, within the budget, profitable and to the quality specified, while serving as BIG Construction’s representative on the Owner-Architect-BIG team. SPM are accountable to exceed in training, mentoring & coaching PM’s, APM’s & PE’s to aide in their development and acclimate to BIG Construction procedures and protocol. In the performance of this role, the SPM is responsible for exceeding expectations of protecting and promoting the interest of BIG Construction in all matters. Senior Project Managers are expected to maintain positive and effective working relationships with both internal and external members of the Project Team and support departments. Makes decisions and recommendations which can greatly affect BIG’s relationship with customers and the profitability of projects he/she manages.
- Manage preconstruction activities (Estimating, Operations Plan, Scheduling) as necessary. May be responsible for bidding, scope review, and awards of subcontracts.
- Participate in the development of scheduling and sequencing work as well as ensure trade contractors have the latest schedule and are contractually tied thereto.
- Must have a complete understanding of the owner contract for a project as well as risk mitigation measures and ensure that the project team is informed on them.
- Ensure subcontracts, Purchase Orders (POs) and change orders are reviewed and accurate.
- Delegate appropriate authority to Superintendents in order for them to fulfill the responsibilities.
- Responsible for the change order process (subcontractor and owner). Including the review all requests for change orders to assure they are properly documented, submitted promptly, and that adequate provisions have been included for direct costs, overhead, profit, and time extensions.
- Manage, Review, and validate the project financials.
- Consistently review all progress and cost reports to ensure they accurately reflect actual costs and profit projections.
- Administer the preparation of monthly pay applications and review with the Project Administrator for accuracy and timeliness.
- Establish relationships with owners, subcontractors and consultants.
- Guarantee strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements at all times.
- Establish a strong relationship with the client and architects that will enhance our capability to perform further negotiated work.
- Direct the training and development of suitable personnel to obtain future management and supervisory responsibilities.
- Administer and develop staff as assigned, including providing feedback for performance evaluations.
- Encourage and motivate employees on assigned projects to continue to prepare themselves to provide for the growth of the company.
- Instruct and train all supervisory and management employees on assigned projects in proper employee relations in order to develop a sense of pride and loyalty to the company, as well as provide for their attendance at seminars.
- Show Self-sufficiency by creating work and fees with existing clients.
- Engage in new project pursuits which support Business Development.
- Provide the Business Development Department with any market insights gained through discussion with the client, architect, or other project participants regarding future project opportunities.
- Prepare and participate in client presentations and project interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10 or more years' experience in the construction management or engineering field.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Proven to be successful at producing exceptional fees over multiple years.
- Well-known and respected in the industry.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- Able to apply innovative and effective management techniques in order to maximize employee performance.
- A thorough comprehension of corporate and industry practices, processes, standards, etc. and the impact that they can have on a project.
- Strong computer skills as well as a familiarity with the programs offered by Microsoft Office.
- Ability to remain in a seated position for the majority of the day while in home office (between 70% - 100% of work time) operating a computer, phone and other office equipment i.e., a copier and computer printer (between 70% -100% of work time)
- Ability to lift or move supplies, equipment, boxes, documents and materials weighing up to 40lbs (occasionally heavier than 40lbs) in office suite and/or at work sites (i.e. vendor sites, client sites, etc.)
- Must be able to communicate via phone, email, and in-person with colleagues and professional contacts(i.e. vendors, support service providers, etc.) for the majority of the day (between 70% -100% of worktime)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- Regular communication with internal and external constituents is required, including occasionally
outside of regular working hours.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction and/or company sponsorship.
Dollar Limit Approval Thresholds (for applicable roles)
- Reference BIG Construction Employee Handbook
Working Conditions & Environment
- May be required to work beyond office hours – some nights and weekends – as required by the needs
of the department and this position as well as the needs of the organization.
- Must be able to commute as required from office to job-site locations located within a 100-mile radius
from office as required. Reference employee handbook regarding mileage reimbursement.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties above are not to be considered a complete list of duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements.