Construction Management Interns are responsible for assisting the BIG project management and construction team. Manage and create procurement matrices for submittals, RFI’s, and document control of closeouts for jobs, while serving as a BIG Construction’s representative on the Owner-Architect-BIG team. Each Intern will have exposure to the entire preconstruction, bidding, & construction process. In the performance of this role, the Intern is responsible for protecting and promoting the interest of BIG Construction in all matters. Interns are expected to maintain positive and effective working relationships with both internal and external members of the Project Team and support departments.
- Utilize software programs and templates to process, distribute, track and update to manage all project documentation.
- Execute take-offs using On-Screen, while working closely with a Project Manager, to create a rough estimate as per the directive of the Project Executive.
- Reach out to a potential list bidders & create a Bid Binder and log all trade contractor bidding documentation.
- File all shop drawings, submittals, RFIs, schedules and punch lists into the appropriate job folder.
- Communicate and implement submittal procurement requirements to the Project Engineer.
- Develop and log all submittals.
- Review contract documents for submittal requirements.
- Prepare RFI’s.
- Attend site meetings.
- Facilitate the close out process.
- Ensure customer satisfaction by identifying and exceeding client needs with the support and direction from a Project Executive, SPM, PM, or PE.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree (or Higher) in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or any other related field.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to read and comprehend drawings.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- Able to apply innovative and effective management techniques in order to maximize employee performance.
- A thorough comprehension of corporate and industry practices, processes, standards, etc. and the impact that they can have on a project.
- Strong computer skills as well as a familiarity with the programs offered by Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with On-Screen Take-off, Adobe PDF Editor/Bluebeam, PlanGrid, and CMiC are desired but not required.
- Ability to remain in a seated position for most of the day while in home office (between 70% -100% of work time) operating a computer, phone and other office equipment i.e., a copier and computer printer (between 70% -100% of work time)
- Ability to lift or move supplies, equipment, boxes, documents and materials weighing up to 40lbs (occasionally heavier than 40lbs) in office suite and/or at work sites (i.e. vendor sites, client sites, etc.)
- Must be able to communicate via phone, email, and in-person with colleagues and professional contacts (i.e. vendors, support service providers, etc.) for most of the day (between 70% -100% of work time)
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- Regular communication with internal and external constituents is required, including occasionally
outside of regular working hours.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction and/or company sponsorship.
Dollar Limit Approval Thresholds (for applicable roles)
- Reference BIG Construction Employee Handbook
Working Conditions & Environment
- May be required to work beyond office hours – some nights and weekends – as required by the needs
of the department and this position as well as the needs of the organization.
- Must be able to commute as required from office to job-site locations located within a 100-mile radius
from office as required. Reference employee handbook regarding mileage reimbursement.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; and nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties above are not to be considered a complete list of duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements.